SERVINGS 15 min. Cook Time 20 min. Ready In 35 min. Yield 15 brownies
- 1 cup Whole Grain Buckwheat or Whole Wheat Flour
- 3/4 cup Cocoa Powder, sifted if lumpy
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 3/4 cup + 1 Tbsp Unsalted Butter or Coconut Oil, melted and cooled slightly
- 1-1/2 cups Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 tsp Peppermint Extract
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1-1/4 cups Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips or other add-ins
- Preheat oven to 350o F and line an 8”x8” pan with parchment paper.
- Stir together the flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the melted butter or coconut oil, sugar, and vanilla and peppermint extracts. Add eggs one at a time and stir just until combined.
- Add dry mixture to the wet and stir just until almost no streaks of flour remain. Do Not Over Mix! Fold in 1 cup chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 16-20 minutes or until the brownies have formed a thin crust and appear set in the middle. A toothpick inserted into the center or sides will come out wet. The brownies will continue to bake as they sit in the pan and will firm up as they cool.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup additional chocolate chips on top, if desired.
- Let cool completely. Cover and store at room temperature for up to 4 days.
1. You must use buckwheat and not whole wheat for grain-free / gluten-free version.
2. For a dairy-free version, use coconut oil. If you use unrefined coconut oil, these will likely have some coconut flavor to them. Refined coconut oil has no coconut taste or smell.